Friday, August 17, 2007

My impressions about the book Pre-Raphelites

My impressions about the book ''Pre-Raphaelites'' by K.E.Sullivan.

I enjoyed reading this book because it is written in an easy way (not many dates and names).That makes this book very helpful for an ignorant person in pre-raphaelite art like me(I wasn’t lost in non-useful information). I gained the necessary information (who, when, why, main ideas, history of movement) in understandable structured way.

Another good side of the book is the interesting way in which information is presented. It's not a dry reference book but exciting reading thanks to details about personal life of painters like love-stories, drug problems etc. It makes pre-raphaelites more understandable, closer to the reader.

Illustrations in the book were rather impressive, quality was good and I enjoyed looking at them.

Things I didn't like:

1 .First of all, the author was naming lots of paintings without giving illustrations. To my mind, this book is for people who have just started studying pre-raphaelites. How are they supposed to know those paintings named? Without a picture just naming or describing a painting loses its sense.

2. Second thing I didn't like is that all the paintings for illustrating the text were from European museums. I live in Australia which possesses rather nice collection of pre-raphaelites and would like to know more about the paintings hanging in the walls in the galleries of this country.

What I would like to offer the author to add to this book:

1. List of museums that have pre-raphaelite paintings in their collection.

2. Bibliography on this topic for future studies in this sphere.

All things considered, I enjoyed reading this book, it made my pre-raphaelite studies so much more enjoyable!

No comments: